I wrapped up the “100 Days of Awesome” timeline back in April. What I didn’t wrap up were any of the projects I had intended to complete in that time. It took until mid-June to get the “Gallery Yurt” ready to rent.
Actually, it’s not done yet. There are several more things I need to complete: awnings over the windows; a loft area that includes a railing, flooring, carpeting, wiring, and a ladder; weather-resistant outdoor electrical outlets; and a few more tweaks to the drain system. But for the moment, it is “rentable” in a minimalistic sort of way.
You can see it at: Bryce Canyon Deluxe Private Yurt
As for the other things on that list, I didn’t finish any of them.
Retrofitting: Making It Up As I Go
I’m attempting to retro-fit what amounts to an external wall around the studio yurt bathroom extension. I will fill the wall cavity with insulation. I hope this will reduce or eliminate the problem we are having with frozen water lines.
I’ve learned a lot, through trial and error… with an emphasis on error… about cold weather winterization. Bottom line: even too much insulation is not enough when the temperatures drop to single digits or below zero (that is, -12˙C or below, if you’re so inclined). The vacation rental yurt bathroom extension was not constructed to endure extended sub-freezing temperatures, and it was definitely not designed to withstand single-digit or sub-zero temperatures.
That’s what we get for hiring a handyman from Hawaii to build it for us.