606. Slow Going

Retrofitting: Making It Up As I Go

I’m attempting to retro-fit what amounts to an external wall around the studio yurt bathroom extension. I will fill the wall cavity with insulation. I hope this will reduce or eliminate the problem we are having with frozen water lines.

I’ve learned a lot, through trial and error… with an emphasis on error… about cold weather winterization. Bottom line: even too much insulation is not enough when the temperatures drop to single digits or below zero (that is, -12˙C or below, if you’re so inclined). The vacation rental yurt bathroom extension was not constructed to endure extended sub-freezing temperatures, and it was definitely not designed to withstand single-digit or sub-zero temperatures.

That’s what we get for hiring a handyman from Hawaii to build it for us.

611. Insulation

The water supply lines in the studio yurt keep freezing, so I keep adding insulation to the outside walls.

Were I going to do it again, I would direct the water lines differently. At least now I have a better idea of how to factor in cold weather when I tackle another plumbing project.

Cutting Styrofoam Insulation Panels
Using a Hand Saw

331. 332. 333. 334. 335.

I shall endeavor to keep this brief:
1. Flew from HNL to SLC via PDX; rented a car; drove south to Kanab area.
2. Looked at the house we found online. Met the owner. Made full-price offer, contingent on our sale going through.
3. Looked at some other houses in the area between Kanab and Panguitch. Everything we saw made us like our first choice even more. (Well, everything we saw that was in our price range, that is!)
4. Had dinner with the property owners in St. George.
5. Drove back to Salt Lake City.
6. Flew from SLC to HNL

So now there’s double the stress: fingers XX’d that the sale of our property goes through, and eyes and toes XX’d that the purchase of the new property proceeds smoothly.

326. Accepted Offer

We accepted the last counter-offer on our property, 90% of the asking price.

Now what is largely a waiting game begins, as the buyer attempts to secure financing.

Weight today: 201.8 lbs. Meh, I had pizza and beer last night.

But I jogged 5-1/2 miles today, at a 13:03/mile pace.

324. Counter Offer

Weight today: 201.2 lbs

Submitted a counter-offer. My hopes are not high even though we dropped the price by a lot, but there is no way we could accept the initial offer.

I was going to list this REMCO Mighty Mike toy on eBay, but it turns out that they are very common on eBay, and extremely cheap. It would cost more to ship than it would sell for.

Pretty cool how easy it is now to insert video into blog posts. Not all that long ago – like, five years maybe… or is it ten? – it was a real hassle. Now it’s a matter of minutes to upload a clip to YouTube and then insert the YouTube-provided “embed” link in the post.

Oh… note to self: I’ve been slacking for a week now. Tomorrow I resume exercising and getting stuff done. Oh, and writing. Yeah.

323. Offer… for what it’s worth

lithographed tin robots

1960s Litho Tin Robots

I posted these three circa 1960s toy robots on eBay last night for a Buy-It-Now price of $135 with free shipping. They sold sometime early in the morning, and I shipped them off this afternoon, bound for New York. I have had two of these robots, the little green “sparking robot” (or “Mighty Mechanical Robot” by Noguchi, I learned through a web search) and the “gear head robot” (or Horikawa Fighting Robot), since I was a little kid. The one with the yellow cap on its head, which is supposed to light up, I found at a yard sale a gazillion years ago. The little wind-up robot still works, and even makes sparks; I could not get either of the two battery-operated robots to run.

Even stored away in boxes, the climate and salt air here are taking a toll, and these old toys were all starting to rust. It was time to send them to a better home. Perhaps they will be restored. Perhaps they will be used for parts to bring other robots back to mechanical life. Perhaps they will be enjoyed just as they are, rusting relics of an era that was, in some ways, better than today. At least if you were a kid. If you were of draft age, maybe not so much.

We also received our first offer on the house — for a hundred and nine thousand dollars less than our asking price. We had expected some low-ball offers when we listed, but that’s… pretty low. We will present a counter-offer.

I’m trying not to get too worked up or hung up or whatevered-up. Unfortunately, while looking online at real estate listings last night, my wife found a property in the area to which we are thinking about moving that is fantastic beyond belief, at a price almost too good to be true. If we sold our house for the offer we just received… we wouldn’t clear enough to consider it. But if we can get a counter-offer accepted, we might be able to swing it. But it’s such an awesome place, I have no doubt it will be snapped up within days or weeks.

So… do we take a risk by countering, and hope the property that looks so good remains on the market until we can make an offer (which would be full-price cash)? Or do we hold out for something closer to our asking price, which would give us more options once we’re ready to shop seriously? After looking for a number of months, and finding lots of houses that are, like, “that’s pretty cool,” or “I could be happy with that,” seeing this new one totally spoils everything else. Nothing else comes close to hitting everything that I, personally, would have in my ideal house. Okay, it doesn’t have a “Yellowstone Lodge style” stone fireplace, but everything else… yeah. And we know a guy who actually builds stone fireplaces for a living, so maybe we could build one ourselves.

Weight was 201.2 today. It’s been a week since school ended, and I’ve only exercised once. Trying to eat better, but I’m not quite there yet, and I’m still chugging back too much Coca Cola. The two Beefy Fritos Burritos at Taco Bell today were seriously yummy!